[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: URGENT!! Multiple WWW names on the same machine.

[ It has nothing to do with www security but it's an interesting question ]
[ Don't label postings with URGENT if it's only urgent for YOU not for the
  READERS of the list ]

Then Dana Hudes <dhudes@panix.com> asked:

> But how does the webserver know which directory to serve for which alias?

The solution is "virtual server" on a "multi-homed host".

A "multi-homed host" has not only just more than one name but more than one
IP adresses too. Using "virtual interfaces" you are not bound to having many
ethernetcards. SunOS 5 can provide this.

A "virtual server" binds (listens) not to all available IP address on the host
(INADDR_ANY) but to a specific one. Spinner fi. is able to do so. (See

    http://spinner.infovav.se/configuration/servers.htm

or (if it's closer to you)

    http://www.xmission.com/www/spinnerdoc/configuration/servers.htm

AFAIK it's impossible with ncsa 1.4.2 (which I run by myself)

read you later  -  Holger Reif
----------------------------------------  Signaturprojekt Deutsche Einheit
TU Ilmenau - Informatik - Telematik                      (Verdamp lang her)
Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE         Alt wie ein Baum werden, um ueber
http://Remus.PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE/Reif/  alle 7 Bruecken gehen zu koennen